Sunday, March 12, 2006

bumper pads

Why do they say you need to take the bumper pad out of the crib? I mean I've researched it, but I just don't get it. I really don't think he will suffocate from it. His face is never in it. I know if he stepped on it to climb out of the crib...it wouldn't work. It pushes way down. So really...why do you have to take it out? Am I missing something? I hate to take it out because he rolls all around and I know he will bump his head. Advice please....

8 comments:

Deborah said...

The only reason I took them out is that the girls were using them to climb out. Ours are formed foam so they didn't push down. I wouldn't think you have too take them out, if he couldn't climb out.

I will say, it makes it easier to change the crib sheets without the bumpers in.

Anonymous said...

i have no earthly idea, just wanted to say how cute that pic is. isn't that the one named "getting annoyed at all the pictures"?? lol

Michelle said...

really cute outfit!

actually, when emily was about 6 months old we took the bumpers out of her crib. i heard her fussing a weird fuss and freaked out when i checked on her - she had somehow pulled it out enough to worm her way between the pad and the crib. i took it out right then! i would not have thought it to be a big deal, but she had not learned to roll over yet, so i was deathly afraid she'd get stuck during the night or something.

i don't even remember if we put the bumper in for ethan...

Jessica said...

no kids...don't know about bumper pads.

however, in that picture, as much as i'm loving the outfit (seriously, it is so cute)...my translation of what he is thinking is "dude, mom get me out of this pretty boy outfit and put me in some camo!"

of course, i'm no mindreader.

Shandra said...

dude...jess..i totally put that pic on there to see what the comments would. can i just say that the only camo my child will EVER wear will be shorts!! i can't stand camo shirts! :) and my child is a "pb" and his daddy loves it!

Deb and Michelle...i think i'm going to take it out and see how it does w/o it. i just worry he will get his arm or foot caught ...we went through a phase of that. so we'll see how it goes. the bumper pad just makes the room!! :)

Jill...yep...that's the one!! :)

Megan said...

Jolie is 15 months & still sleeps with her bumper. We've had no problems. Her matress is pretty far down so we haven't had any problems with her attempting to escape - yet!

Anonymous said...

You should take the bumper pads out today because if he knows that you won't let him wear camo, he may choose to climb out to find freedom from PB oppression any night now.

Stone still has bumper pads. They offer him two advantages: 1. He likes to put the crown of his head against the side of the crib while he sleeps. 2. They help keep him warm via blocking any draft. No kid can keep his/her covers on throughout the night.

Shandra said...

dude Chet...to what do i owe this honor? two comments in one month? ..or maybe it's been two months now.

i've decided i'm going to lower his bed all the way and leave the pad on. he does like Stone and puts his head against it.

i agree w/ you Deb...it's a pain to change the sheets with it.