Thursday, July 20, 2006

just fillin' ya in

I guess I'll fill y'all in on where I've been lately! (You know you care or you wouldn't visit my blog.)

I went down to see Jennifer this week. She lives down in the Clear Lake area. She had a baby about 2 1/2 months ago and he is PRECIOUS!! He was such a good baby. Didn't make a fuss while we were there. Now my child on the other hand....just kidding Andrew! I figured he would be all about her stairs, but he could have cared less. So it was good to see Jennifer and meet little Benjamin. If I was smart I would have taken a picture to post. Oh well!

Tomorrow Andrew has a friend coming over to go to the pool with us. No, I'm not taking both boys by myself. His mommy will come too. Hopefully they will both enjoy it. I don't think Gavin is quite walking yet so I don't know what he's going to think of the whole splashpad thing.

Andrew is doing well. I think he's been teething because he's been waking up the last couple of nights. He was running a temp yesterday (well, the dr would say it's not a temp.) of 100 so I'm sure it's just teething.

Lately we've been working on teaching him
sign language . I know some people are totally against it and think it can slow a baby's speech, but I don't agree. I know children who do it and think it's great!! I'm really only teaching him about 5 signs (eat, food, more, milk, all done) to help us out....so don't try starting a debate with me!! :) Anyway, he's been doing the sign for more and today I've noticed him doing all done...just not sure if he realizes he's saying all done.

I have family coming in next week. Some of them haven't been here (shout-out to the Kempfs!) and we are looking forward to their visit. Think we might go down to Galveston (Michelle any tips on a good beach down there or do they all stink?)

Well, that's all from here. Need to get dinner going!

18 comments:

knelson said...

Dear Shan - i must say the sign-language issue made me smile. My younger sister did that with her children and I must confess we teased her often. All of us would do the signs at the table - "more" was our favorite! ha :) Just think of it as empowering him with a second language! They say bi-lingual students are the brightest you know! Love you!

Shandra said...

That's funny! Yeah, my mom doesn't totally agree with the whole thing. If it will cut out the whining...I'm all for it! :)

Anonymous said...

dude you were getting ready for dinner at 430? man you guys are OLD. :)

Shandra said...

i know! we have to eat at 5:30 w/ Andrew. i'm hungry by 5 tho. it's bad to eat late. we also go to bed at 9. we ARE OLD! except it's 9:12 and i'm still up. :O

Anonymous said...

i knew someone who did that with their kid, and had heard the stuff about delaying their speech, but it didn't this little boy. developed just fine. also a good time to learn bi-lingual stuff!

Megan said...

jolie likes to do the sign for "more" now that she is talking...go figure!

Anonymous said...

Shan--I have a friend here that did the sign lang. stuff....about 20 words. It helped SO much. She is precious. Go for it!! What are you doing on July 25th...Tuesday? (Mandy's b-day!!!!!!!!!!!!) Jason has to go for a lunch appt. I'm not sure if I am going or not. They are meeting at Papadeaux's by where we were last time. Will your fam be there by then??

Michelle said...

the best beach in galveston is palm beach - in moody gardens. :) just kidding, it's a pool. but it's a very cool pool with sand to make it look like a beach. i took emily there a lot when she was a baby.

all the beaches are have yucky brown sand, but if i had to pick one i'd pick stewart beach.

the kids and i may have passed you and andrew on the road, jennifer lives in the neighborhood across the street from us!

Anonymous said...

My sister did sign language with her 2 kids (she's a speech pathologist, so it's okay!). She used those signs, plus help, please, thank you, and cup. Allie still uses her signs (she just turned 4), like when they are out with other grown-ups. She just taps her Mommy or Daddy on the arm and signs for whatever she needs. Julie can have a conversation without Allie interrupting with "mommy!... mommy!... mommy!" I also agree with Mrs. Kathy about the 2nd language thing. Good luck with it!

Shandra said...

wow! i'm impressed w/ all the positive feedback!! :) maybe i'll teach him more than just 5 words! thanks y'all!

Anonymous said...

Tell him to cup his hands like a C and say Carrie! :)

Shandra said...

okay Carrie. my family won't be in then if you come in. but this time you have to visit with us!!!

Shandra said...

Carrie...I deleted my last post b/c I found out my 'friend' knows about my blog. As for Keri Taylor...we've played phone tag, but I need to call her!

Shandra said...

Michelle...I mentioned to Jennifer that you guys had moved, but I wasn't sure if it was in her neighborhood or not. You should email her. She asked me for yours, but I don't have it. I told her to leave you a message on your blog...don't think she checks blogs tho.

Anonymous said...

I only know one sign.

elly said...

Shandra - my daughter taught her last 3 sign - loved it and the 4 year old still uses it plus is a chatterbox!! - all of them are "brilliant" kids and were not slow developing at all. I think it helps cut down on tantrums & whining and the frustration they feel from not being able to communicate verbally.

Shandra said...

yeah, he was good, but he's always on the go!!! enjoy this time while Benjamin is so little!! :)

Stacy said...

my sister is teaching my 9m/o nephew to sign. it cracks me up and i make fun of her but i don't think it hurts anything. i rarely spoke when i was little b/c all i had to do was point and my sisters and mom responded. signing is much better than pointing and grunting and i turned out ok. i'm not a total tard...well i at least have an excellent vocabulary!