Thursday, February 23, 2006

ringworm

YUCK!...the name just sounds gross. Ringworm...see, it's gross! That's what Andrew has. Where the heck he picked it up from...who knows! He's had it for almost a month. Every time I think it's gone...it pops back up. It's very little and right by his mouth. I have heard that it's hard to get rid of, but I'm wondering if it will be even harder because he constantly has drool on it. Anyone have any advice? I'd post a picture (you can hardly see it), but I know how some people are about pictures being posted all the time. Don't want the blog nazi after me!!!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

he probably got it from rolling around in the dirt.

Shandra said...

you're right anonymous, because i let my 7 month old roll in the dirt all the time!

Carrie!!...you need to get on to Anonymous b/c if he doesn't stop acting like a dork i'm going to change it and you won't be able to comment either!!!

Sarah said...

Justin, my husband, gets ring worms all of the time. One doctor told him before that it is some type of virus in his body that produces them. (Never heard that anywhere else before though)He constantly has one somewhere (arm, leg, chest, etc.), but I've never seen one on his face. Poor Andrew! Hopefully he won't be like Justin and have them all of the time!

Megan said...

how did you know it was a ringworm?

Shandra said...

Thanks Sarah! I hope it doesn't come back all the time too!

Megan, it's a very small ring...like smaller than a pea and the center of it is light.

Anonymous said...

Shandra...don't have much time to comment anyway. I got on here now because you emailed me RIGHT back, so I figured you had posted or were posting. I had a ringworm when I taught in Louisiana. I had to put some lotion stuff on it and it went away. Ask Doc Stacy. Back to work I go...

bradley said...

shandra...did some research for you...im really bored..so here you go...
What is a Ringworm?

A Ringworm, also called Tinea is a fungus infection of the scalp or skin. The fungal infection is caused by mold-like fungi called dermatophytes. Dermatophytes live on the dead tissues on the skin and any structures that grow from the skin, such as hair or nails. Ringworm is not a "worm" infections.

A ringworm can affect skin, fingers, toe nails or foot.

Ringworm Infection does not create lasting immunity. A person can be repeatedly infected by the same type of fungus.

How are Ringworms transmitted?

Ringworms can be transmitted from animals (dogs and cats) to humans and from humans to humans by direct contact with an infected person or animal. Ringworm can also be spread through contact with articles (such as combs or clothing) or surfaces which have been contaminated with the fungus.

How are ringworms treated?

Your doctor may treat a ringworm by prescribing a fungicidal material to swallow as tablets or powders that can be applied directly to the affected areas.

hope this helps you out:)

Shandra said...

Bradley...you are cracking me up!! I've talked to the dr and he said to put this medicine on it for 2 weeks and if it doesn't clear up we need to go in. So two weeks is Monday.
Thanks for the info! I did some research on the net too!
You'll make a good daddy one day! Have fun at your concert and I expect a post about it!

Jessica said...

don't know who the blog nazi would be. any ideas, carrie? cause i know she ain't talking about me. or, could it be that she said blog nazi in a way that only shandra can? cause if she did, then i know who it is!

Shandra said...

jessica...you just worry about your weekend! :O

Jessica said...

what do i have to worry about?

Stacy said...

what's the name of the cream you are using? has it ever gone completely away? i always recommend using the cream for at least a week after the ringworm is totally gone. however, if it never went away then you might need to take medicines by mouth. technically most of the oral meds aren't approved for use in kids less than 2 yrs old. but we use a lot of meds that aren't necessarily approved for certain things...

Shandra said...

stacy...i am usuing lamisil and am putting it on him 2 times a day. (per dr orders) however, when it went away (or looked like it had gone away)i only put it on twice a day. all day yesterday i kept a band aid on it and it looks a lot lighter today. so i will keep the band aid on it. should i call my dr then on monday (will be two weeks on meds) or wait it out a little longer. i don't think i really want him on meds that are not approved for him yet.
thanks!...oh and just give my bill to jessica this weekend when you see her...she'll take care of it. :)

jessica...matt asked the same thing you did. i was just being dumb!...really no point to my comment...i know...it's a first!

Jessica said...

dude, you ain't getting on my tab. i'm having to take out a second mortgage on my house already to pay her butt back. i don't need no "i can't cure my kids ringworm" bill on my back!

tell matt i said, "what up?"

Stacy said...

if he said to come back after 2 weeks, then i'd recommend going back to see him if it's not gone.(and no bufkin, i'm not just trying to pad another doc's pocket.)and just to clarify, a lot of meds aren't approved for use in young kids b/c most people think it's not ethical to test drugs on kids. so if you can't test them on kids in the study, you can't get fda approval. same thing with pregnant women. but there are several "unapproved" uses for most meds and they work and don't cause any harm. for example...the lamisil cream you are using, it's not actually fda approved for use in kids. :)

Anonymous said...

time to post new material shan

Deborah said...

How is little Andrew? Hope your weekend with the folks was fun.