Wednesday, April 11, 2007

is my child normal?? :)

So for those of you that have/had a one and a half year old...would your child sit and just play with his/her toys for long? Andrew will go in his room and play for a bit but he will get bored and come get me or Matt to come play with him. That's usually how it goes...he plays for a bit by himself and then wants one of us to play with him. Matt thinks he should entertain himself for a while. Matt's mom says that Matt would sit and play with his toys ALL day long. I've tried to tell Matt that that's not normal! :) So, for you mom's out there...will you please explain to my wonderful hubby that most children don't just sit all day long and play with their toys...or am I wrong?

15 comments:

Michelle said...

in my experience, getting 10 minutes of alone playtime was about it. i've never really heard of an 18 month-old playing for hours...unless he was coloring on walls with a big black sharpie. :)

sorry matt.

Anonymous said...

Nothing about Lando is normal, but he has always preferred solitutde to the annoyance of social interaction. All in all, I'd rather have Lando as a kid than Hardy.

Elizabeth said...

This is not giving me much hope. I was hoping that as Clara gets older she would play by herself more. Oh, well. I guess they will not want us forever.

Deborah said...

I agree with michelle. If you want more than 10 minutes then your going to have to turn on the TV and give him some snacks!

Anonymous said...

Since I don't have kids, I can only chime in as an aunt. I know my sister's kids were all different. Owen would play for a long time by himself, Davis Glen a little less and Andrew...HA! NO WAY!! I can barely talk to her on the phone for a minute before he comes in! Each child is different!

Anonymous said...

i always knew matt was weird. but so is josh. his mom says he would NOT play by himself. had to be entertained. and look at him now. i don't think either of them have changed much. :)
and yes, i believe andrew is quite normal.

Megan said...

jolie has her good & bad days. she will sometimes play longer than others, but most of the time appreciates attention from one of us. she now gets officially bored, but still hasn't learned to use the word. she'll walk around the house whiny & desperate for something to do...it makes me laugh.

Sarah said...

Anna has always been good at entertaining herself. Don't get me wrong, she loves to have someone (me or Justin) to play with her, but she can also play by herself. She has a very vivid imagination and always has. She will (ever since she was big enough to walk) find a toy and play with it for hours on end by herself. My mom says I was the same way. My nephew on the other hand CANNOT play alone. He has to have someone with him 24/7. SO, I agree, every child is different.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany said...

Caroline used to play well by herself at that age, but now that she is older, she feels as though she has to have someone to play with at all times. Catherine, on the other hand, has always played by herself or with others...& since Caroline is gone all day now, she really has to entertain herself. She has an awesome imagination. Of course, all kids would rather be playing with someone else.

Ashley said...

So, I confess I am a lurker on your site. And, in an attempt to rejoin the blog world, I will offer up my opinion. Sounds like Andrew is pretty much right on target for the majority of kids his age. I am a nanny to a 4 yr old and an almost 18 month old. The 18 month old will only stay with one activity for about 3 minutes at a time before she loses interest. It has only been in recent months that her older brother has become content to play by himself for long stretches of time. So, in my professional opinion, sounds like he is doing what most one and a half year olds do.

Unknown said...

Sadie is WAY too social to want to play by herself. I agree with whoever said you'd have to turn on the TV. If I turn on cartoons I think I could get 2 hours of down time, it's way too tempting sometimes.......

Shandra said...

amy, i agree, the tv is way too tempting. if i turn on blue's clues he would sit for hours. i defintely do use the tv but i try not to every day...it's hard.

ashley...don't worry...i lurked on your site too! not in a while though b/c you haven't updated! :) i didn't realize you're a nanny. thanks for the info tho.

Anonymous said...

Blue's clues? He is old enough to be watching G.I. Joe or old Transformers cartoons.

I think Lando should be training him to hunt. Put him in a chair with a toy gun and tell him to stay there until a deer walks by. A Landrum at any age should be comfortable in that setting.

Jessica said...

No child is 'normal'. I mean, what is normal? Andrew is just the way Andrew is supposed to be. Each child is unique and what is normal for one kid is abnormal for another. I'm sure little Blake will be much different from Andrew!