Thursday, October 26, 2006

a little gripe

Thanks everyone for the comments about baby #2. We are very excited! I've heard having 1 baby is easy and 2 is chaotic, so we will see. I thought 1 got chaotic at times!! :)

It amazes me what people have said to me since telling that we are pregnant. Just to share a few...

I always get the ...Oh! Congratulations!...then it's followed by...Now, how old is Andrew? I say how old he is and then feel like I have to justify it by saying...he'll be 22 1/2 months by the time the baby gets here. It annoys me because it's not like Andrew 6 months old! I want to say...this is perfect timing for us...don't question it!!!!!!!!!!

And 2 times now I've gotten the whole...was it planned!? How rude is that? One lady at my church said to me how she saw my name on the expectant mom's list. She said congratulations and....was this planned? I should have said..Yes! God's plan! I hardly even know this lady and was really annoyed that someone I hardly know would make that comment.

Okay, I'm done! Just had to gripe!!

17 comments:

Deborah said...

Don't let them get to you! Have fun and enjoy being pregnant!! I think that is perfect..they are going to be best buds!

Michelle said...

people can be so rude. you are a lot nicer than i would be! and deborah is right, they will be best friends! emily and ethan are!:)

Megan said...

we had a new mom in our MOPS group last week that has 2 little girls 10 months apart! she said they actually planned it!!! i thought she was nuts :) she said when her doctor discharged her from the hospital he said "please don't be pregnant at your 6 week checkup!" she said it's hard, but it's just what she wanted. it's different for everyone.

Anonymous said...

lol - and you'll really hate this one...."must be those pregnancy hormones making shandra so gripey!"
haha
the whole "was it planned" question gets me too. you should launch into "NO - it wasn't!! and we're REALLLLY freaked out. i mean, what are we going to do??!?!? we're just not ready for a second one, even though andrew will be almost 2!!!!"
lol

Jessica said...

My kids are 3.5 years apart exactly and I got the pressure to get pregnant again way beofre I did. Everyone seems to have their own opinions on what is best but you just have to do what's right for your family! I was at a party once when a friend asked when we might get pregnant again, Jackson was about 22 months old. I said I didn't know and wasn't sure if I was ready yet. Another "friend" (who was pregnant at the time with her 3rd) actually got mad at me and said she was sick of people using that excuse. That "friend" and I often don't see eye yo eye anyhow but that was rude and none of her business!

Stacy said...

i wouldn't think telling others you're pregnant when your firstborn is 15 mos old would evoke the "was it planned" question. almost 2 years apart seems like a planned thing. my sisters and i are all roughly 2 years apart. on the other hand, when my sister found out she's pregnant before we even celebrated my nephew's 1st birthday, i didn't even have to ask...

Anonymous said...

We know exactly what you mean!!! Some people just need to keep their comments to themselves! Especially when they have no idea what they are talking about!
We always get silly comments...or questions. Like "are your twins identical? They look identical." They are boy/girl, what do you think...he he! And no, they don't look anything alike! I think they speak before they think!

We're so glad the secret is out!!! We think it is great Andrew is getting a new sibling! It is the perfect time!

Shandra said...

sa...it took me a minute to figure out who you were...of course the twins comment gave it away!! :)

Anonymous said...

Shan...don't worry about others. Was it bad I was asking for baby #2 right after Andrew was born?! HA! We all know you are a PERFECT mommy and I'm already ready for you to announce baby #3! (just kidding!) Enjoy this time and just pretend you are a teacher with an annoying parent and do what we all do best...IGNORE!

How are you feeling? When is Keri moving to Ruston? We should all plan a trip to go there at the same time! We could all stay at dad's house...he's in NC. Toys are already in place! :)

Sarah said...

Congrats Shandra!! People in this world are nuts. Andrew will be 2 soon and people are asking you if you planned your pregnancy. Anna will be 5 in Jan. and people tell me all the time that I have waited too long. They tell me that my kids won't even know each other. Man...do they really think we should justify our decisions?

Shandra said...

Sarah...I bet you do hear a lot of comments. You should tell them you want a built in babysitter!!

Carrie...that's how rumors get started...Keri isn't moving to Ruston. Just a visit. :) And it will be a long while before and if we have a #3.

Anonymous said...

You should just say, "No, but they don't make a contraceptive that can stop the mighty Lando Magnus."

elly said...

just wait until you have #3 and #4 - then people really have their comments - like you are single-handedly repopulating the earth!! When I had my 3rd I was shocked that it was considered to be "alot of kids" until a stranger in the grocery informed me I was wrong to have so many children!!! My daughter, who has 4 has had similar experiences - I just agree with my former boss - "people are idiots!"

Anonymous said...

This weekend was homecoming at SLU, and twice today I had people ask me when I was due, and when I said 4 weeks and was pushing Sadie in a stroller, they both gave me looks of horror as if I were the dumbest person in the world. I've gotten it alot, and I like the "auntj"'s idea, and maybe add crying uncontrollably to it.

Shandra said...

Mrs. Elly, I'm the youngest of 5 girls. Never thought about if my mom got comments. I'll have to ask her. People can just be so rude!

Amy...I didn't realize you only have 4 weeks left! So exciting! Do you have someone to keep Sadie when you go in?

Anonymous said...

Shan...she is moving to Ruston for 6 months. She is going to stay in one of her dad's rental houses.

Tara Smith said...

You should see the looks I get when I am out with Alyssa. She is 8 months old and I am due on Valentine's day. They will be 11 months apart.