Tuesday, June 05, 2007

routine

Here's a little update of how we are doing..

Well, I think we are actually getting into a routine around here!! Blake's doing well and getting big! I was a little worried he might not be gaining weight since he spits up quite a bit. I took him to the hospital to be weighed and the boy weighs 9lbs. 6oz. Now, that's with clothes and all on so it might be off a few ounces. Anyway, I was just glad to see he had put on almost a pound since our last doctor visit.

Night feedings are going good. He's still only stretching his first night feeding between 4-5 hours...but I'm not complaining! They say 5 hrs is considered sleeping through the night. I, however, feel that 7-8 hrs is sleeping through the night and can't wait for those days!! :)

I'm trying to get Blake to go to sleep on his own. With him having reflux we keep him sitting up for 30 mins. after he eats....usually we are holding him and he'll fall asleep in our arms. Then when I try to put him down he wakes up and cries. So, I'm trying to break that. He's doing okay with it during the day but at 8PM he struggles with it. I know he's still young, but I can't hold the boy all day with a nearly 2 year old who wants mommy to play!

Andrew is doing really well with Blake...well, except for when Andrew wanted to show me that Blake has an eye and poked him right in the eyeball! Poor Blake! He barely flinched! I could see it coming but just couldn't stop Andrew in time.

Well, Andrew wants to play trains so I better end this!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you're doing great with 2 boys :) jack took his naps in his swing quite a bit (when he decided to nap) and i think it helped him sleep b/c of his reflux. but once we started him in his own bed, he didn't have much trouble transitioning. we have some friends whose baby had reflux, and he slept in his swing in their room for the first 3 mos of his life. i got desparate at one point and almost tried it but didn't. anywho, i'm sure whatever you do now, it'll work itself out when he's older.

Anonymous said...

OH i forgot - our MD's office said to put something, like a towel under his cradle mattress at nite to prop him up. have you tried anything like that?

Shandra said...

well, he sleeps on an inclined sleep positioner so he's not flat. matt put a towel under that to see if it would make a difference but i don't think it has. i think he just gets overly tired and can't get himself to sleep. if i can put him down right when he starts to get sleepy he has no problem. i just have to keep an eye on him.

HipShooter said...

I'm so feeling your pain! Well, maybe not the reflux stuff, but the majority of prescriptions I wrote at work were for Prevacid!
We're trying to get on a schedule, too!

sally said...

Hey Shandra... Your boys are looking so big and cute!

I have started a new job and have NO free time for posting, etc., but I wanted to mention that Hayden & Hank slept in their swings and car seats for the first 3 months they were home from the NICU. They had severe reflux (most preemies do) and were on Zantac, too. So, don't feel bad about leaving Blake in a swing all night - I did at first, but when I realized how much more more comfortable and rested the twins were, I didn't feel so guilty... At least not about that - there are some other desparate things that we did that might warrant a call to DHS, but I'm keeping those a secret for my own protection!

Congratulations on your precious new baby!

jill said...

What a great mom!
Ok - so I commented on your blog - now you have to comment on mine.