Sunday, September 17, 2006

debate

So I'm having a debate with a certain someone who thinks he knows everything!!! His name rhymes with BRAT! Anywho...tell me what you say when you want a door to open... is it OPEN SESAME or OPEN SAYS ME!?!?! Thanks for your help!

13 comments:

Michael, Meg & Naomi said...

The referred to saying actually comes to us from "One thousand and one Arabian nights," specifically from the tale of "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves":

"Then the robber who appeared to be their captain led the way and pushed through thorns and thickets until he came to a certain spot, where he uttered, 'OPEN, SESAME!'"

Burton, Sir Richard Francis. "Arabian Nights; The Marvels and wonders of the Thousand and One Nights." New York: Penguin Group, 1991. see pg. 107

Hope I didn't hurt your side of the argument :o)

Shandra said...

No, I said it was open, sesame!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Open Sesame

Deborah said...

Whoever heard of open says me?? that is just crazy!

Megan said...

that's funny. wish you could of been in dallas this weekend. i had breakfast with a few folks at jen's cafe!

Anonymous said...

sesame
i love when matt's wrong

Stacy said...

seriously? that reminds me of that commercial where the guy is adamant that "pour some shook up ramen" are the lyrics to "pour some sugar on me". funny...

Shandra said...

stacy, i think that commercial is funny too. and that is SO matt!

matt claims that it started out as open says me and eventually it was changed to open sesame. i tried finding something oline but didn't. guess i'll just do the i'm right you're wrong dance!!!

knelson said...

LOL!! This is so funny. Open SAYS ME!?! That is as bad as some of the song lyrics I've made up when I didn't know for sure what they were saying. I know there could be a whole blog about "sayings" gone awry...

sally said...

Shandra, this is Sally Foreman from Tech. I've been stalking your blog forever b/c I figured that you didn't remember me. But I am absolutely cracking up out loud over this blog! OPEN SAYS ME??? Hysterical! If you remember Janie Davidson, she is notorious for this kind of thing. She has kept me in stitches for years!

Your sweet baby is just precious, and I have loved watching him grow up over the last few months that I've been lurking. I know you must be having so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Matt is correct. I am from the east and cannot speak the english language very well. My friend, Richie Burton, thought I was saying "sesame" when he was documenting my story of 1001 nights. Let the record show, I was saying "says me".

Anonymous said...

omg matt, seriously? it's sesame. and please tell me you don't say supposably, too- sorry a pet peeve of mine!

Shandra said...

Girls, y'all are cracking me up!

Kristi..we'll talk later.

Mrs. Kathy...I totally make up words to songs, but I admit that I don't know them...Matt won't!! :)

Sally, I remember you! I totally lurk on your blog and your children are PRECIOUS! It's funny b/c I've wanted to leave a comment, but wasn't sure if you'd remember me!!! :) Thanks for stopping by!