Wednesday, February 07, 2007

this is for you moms out there...

Lately I've been talking to some friends about babies being on a schedule. I'm not going to go into details because I don't want to start a debate or anything. What I want to know is ....

--- did you put your baby on a schedule (by baby I mean one month or older) (by schedule I mean did you have your baby eat every 3 hours or so or did you just feed whenever.)
---also, when did your baby start sleeping through the night?

Thanks for your input!!!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

all three of my babies were "demand" fed. that worked best for my sanity. they were also breastfed, which may or may not make a difference! :) i do think (if you can swing it) there are wonderful things about having them on an every 3 hour feeding schedule. i just could not do it.

emily slept through at 9 months.

ethan slept through at 13 (!) months -- and we had to make him cry it out for a week. :(

elliot has always been a good sleeper, even though he still has some night waking issues (he's 9 months old on the 13th.)

i am NO expert, but i think your baby will let you know what kind of a schedule works best for him. we read the book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, and it totally changed our lives. we swear by it! :)

Megan said...

i nursed jolie on demand. the first few weeks i was somewhat on a 3 hour schedule, but that didn't last long.

i'm pretty sure she was sleeping through the night by 4 months. she's always been a good sleeper. we were all about letting her cry it out. it took a few nights of 45 mins. of screaming, but she caught on!

Jessica said...

I breastfed both kids and the first few months were crazy. I fed on demand (which I think is sorta what you're supposed to do with breastfed babes, at least that is what the doctor said).

Jackson was sleeping through the night consistantly by the age of 3 months. He's always slept so good at night and took two-2 hour naps each day until he was 3 years and then it switched to one. He dropped his second nap when he was 4.5 years. Sasha was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks (for 13-15 hours each night)! But that was not the story through her whole first year. She takes just one midday 2-3 hour nap.

By 3 months both kids had a good feeding/nap/night routine down. The trick was getting both kids to take naps at the same time...

Lin said...

I nursed both kids on demand. I followed my mom's wonderful words of wisdom "Never wake a sleeping baby!" :)

Max slept thru the night at 4 mo. Kate did at 7 wks. Until she was 2.5yrs old,I called her my little teenager b/c she would sleep til 9 or 10 in the morning. The girl has always loved her sleep.

Elizabeth said...

I did the parent directed feeding-
aka "Babywise" and it worked wonderfully for us. We did not follow it completely but used it as a guideline. If I fed Clara on demand she would have eaten all day long because she thought sleepy and hungry were the same thing. So I went by hungry cues along with the clock. She pretty much nursed every 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Praise the Lord she slept through the night at about 10-11 WEEKS.

Anonymous said...

My input is that I don't think our bodies appreciate or work as well on schedules as we think.

And this goes for a 1-month-old or a 30-year-old.

I hear Broughton was raised on one of these schedules.

Shandra said...

are you serious anon 12:57? i think i know who you are...lance!

liz, i did babywise too and andrew was sleeping through the night at 7 weeks. i didn't follow babywise religiously tho.

lindsey, my mom got on to me b/c i woke andrew up to eat. if i didn't the boy would have slept all day. he would wake up at night.. but not during the day.

i guess every kiddo is different. thanks for your input ladies!!

ashley said...

every child is different, for sure! stahley (9 months) still isn't on a schedule and requires very little sleep!! stone (2.5 years) put himself on a schedule at 3 months, slept through the night then, and loved every minute of a schedule. he did, however, give up napping altogether at 2 years. my kids just don't require a lot of sleep now - even though mom does!!!

meredith said...

ok. I left a comment last night and now I don't see it. I did this the other day on someone else's blog, so either I am doing something wrong or people are deleting my comments.

I read and followed babywise, but I used it more as a guide. I liked putting Sawyer on a schedule and he did really great with it. I was never good at letting him cry it out though. I just tried to feed him quite a bit during the day and made sure he got full at each feeding. There were times when against my mother's advice I woke him to feed him. If not he would have just slept the day away. He was sleeping through the night by 8 weeks.
He went to a daycare where they did more of the on demand thing and he would go way to long without eating or sleeping because he would just play. Now, he is at a lady's house who is all about the schedule and we are all much happier.

Anonymous said...

Ok, leaving my comment a little late here...but Daisy and Jacob were both on a schedule...3 hours at first and then 4 eventually. We did babywise too as you know! They both slept through at 12 weeks on. We did not follow it religiously either, but all worked out well in my opinion.But then with twins, I think i might go crazy with demand feeding...I would always be feeding ;)

Tiffany said...

You know me Shandra! I was strict. My girls were on 3 1/2 to 4 hour feeding schedules & slept through the night at 6 & 8 weeks. It sure did help a lot when Caroline was on such a great schedule when Catherine came along 15 1/2 months later. I probably would not be able to say how great it has been having them so close had it not been for the great schedule that worked for me. Now...every one is different...I am just a scheduled person!!!xztdz